Field Representative & Trainer – Nakuru, Kenya
Role: Field Representative – Kenya
Team: User Acquisition – Kenya
Reports to: Head of Marketing and User Acquisition– Kenya
Do you have the talent to join award winning agri-tech startup, WeFarm?
WeFarm is a free peer-to-peer service that enables farmers to share information via SMS, without the internet and without having to leave their farm. Farmers ask questions related to farming and receive crowd-sourced answers from other farmers around the world in minutes.
In just one year, we have scaled to more than 140,000 farmers across Kenya, Uganda, and Peru. We have facilitated over 18.5 million interactions, we have been featured in the FT, Forbes, and Wired.co.uk, and we have won awards from Google, The Venture, and the European Commission’s ‘Ideas From Europe.’
With an ambitious goal to reach 1 million farmers in the next 12 months, we are looking for a talented Field Representative – Kenya to help us get there.
Are you keen to create impact on a global scale? Do you have the energy and the skills to recruit, directly support, and inspire farmers from across Kenya? Are you a passionate, ambitious, and self-driven person? If so, please apply to join Kenya’s most exciting tech start-up today!
Overview of Role
- The ideal candidate will coordinate regular farm visits and meetings with cooperatives, WeFarm SMS-technology training sessions, and meetings with farmers and ambassadors across Kenya, particularly Nakuru in the short term.
- You will have spent significant time working with farmers and farming organizations, and have a great working knowledge of farming (especially in Nakuru)
- The role will spend significant time in the field, on the phone, and on the web bringing farmers onto our system, developing a thorough understanding of the needs of our farmers along the way, and training volunteers to recruit farmers.
- Promote WeFarm as the most imperative solution to improving Kenyan agricultural education and productivity.
- The candidate will be committed to the shared objective of increasing the total number of farmers using our system from 110,000 to 500,000 farmers across Kenya by December 2017.
- The candidate’s role will be to recruit farmers and build relationships with our farmers and trainers by answering questions and teaching them how to use the system properly.
- The candidate’s success, along with the rest of the User Acquisition team, will be measured by the number of farmers he or she recruits, as well as the average level of engagement of these recruited farmers.
- Sign-up new farmers and continuously educate farmers on how to use the system effectively.
- Keep track of number of farmers signing up to WeFarm; measure farmer usage data using Microsoft Excel and/or other analytical tools and methods; report data and insights back to the team.
- Travel to farms across Kenya, particularly Nakuru appx. once-per-week to meet farmers and ambassadors, train ambassadors, ask farmers questions, and feed this information back to the team.
- ‘Train the trainers’ on how to get farmers to sign-up as WeFarm users and properly use the SMS-based platform.
- Work directly on the User Acquisition team, but work with other service teams to sign farmers up to our system; particularly the User Engagement and Technology Teams.
- Assist in the promotion, support and development of global engagement and acquisition approaches, policies, and action plans.
- N.B. Must be permitted to work in Kenya;
- Ability to speak and write fluently in Swahili and English
- Must be very comfortable traveling independently by car and/or bus to farms and cooperatives across Kenya;
- Ability to communicate clearly on radio networks and other media channels;
- Experience working directly with small scale farmers and the Kenyan farming community; possibly in extension services or similar;
- In-depth knowledge of Kenya’s agriculture. Degree in Agriculture preferred, he or she must be passionate about Kenya’s agricultural future;
- Proficient with Microsoft Office tools including Excel, PowerPoint, and Word;
- Experience planning and executing events and activities at a rapid pace;
- Ability to communicate well on the radio and other media channels
- Self-driven and comfortable working in a fast-paced startup environment; required skills include resourcefulness, creativity, flexibility, and patience;
- Passionate about the WeFarm business model and pioneering approach to improving the livelihoods of people across Kenya and sub-Saharan Africa.
*Preferred candidate should be able to work in Nakuru
To apply, please send your CV along with a one-page cover letter than answers the following:
Imagine that we send you to Nakuru for one week with a budget of 10,000 shillings with the objective of signing up at least 600 farmers to WeFarm by the end of the week.
How would you approach this challenge? Please describe your approach in just one paragraph (four to six sentences).
Please send your application to firstname.lastname@example.org (note, we will review and interview on an ongoing basis). Unfortunately, we will only be able to respond to shortlisted candidates. Closing date – 5th March 2017.