Agriculture & Engagement Coordinator – Uganda
Role: Agriculture & Engagement Coordinator
Reports to: Head of Engagement
Do you have the talent to join multi-award winning startup WeFarm?
Social enterprise WeFarm is a unique network for the world’s 500 million smallholder farmers without internet access. This pioneering, peer-to-peer platform enables farmers to access crowd-sourced information by SMS, creating social impact on a groundbreaking scale and game-changing data in the process.
In just one year WeFarm has scaled to more than 134,000 farmers across Kenya, Uganda and Peru, has facilitated over 18 million interactions and featured in the FT, Forbes, Wired.co.uk, as well as winning awards from Google, The Venture and the European Commission’s Ideas From Europe.
With an ambitious goal to reach 1 million farmers in the next 12 months, we are looking for a talented Agriculture and Engagement specialist in Uganda.
This is a great opportunity to be part of an exciting, fast-growing start-up. You will be part of a dynamic international team which is trying to change the world. and you will support the senior team in that journey.
Playing a key role in ensuring WeFarm brings the best agricultural advice to our farmers, team and clients. You will be a voice for the farmers within a growing tech startup, to understand and voice the challenges facing our users. You will be bringing agricultural expertise to the engagement team, and to WeFarm as a whole. Your role will be to ensure that WeFarm stays at the forefront of agricultural trends and advancements. In bringing strategic advice, and supporting the measurement of ‘quality’ to the system itself this will result in an engaging experience on the system for all users, who will want to use it more (and never leave!).
Working with the tech and data team to bring agricultural understanding to data analysis for clients and partners.This role has the opportunity to ensure WeFarm is the best system it can be for its users from agricultural point of view, ensuring the increased accuracy of the information being shared. While also working with the data science team to ensure the data and evaluation WeFarm provides has a strong grounding in agricultural expertise.
A key aspect to this role is supporting user interaction with WeFarm and so a good knowledge of Runyankole and Luganda is essential along with any other additional languages.
- Track and report on key trends of questions on the system
- Tracking of repeatedly asked questions
- Provide strategic quality answers to farmers on the system
- Develop a process for collecting and collating quality tips and answers from users that can be shared both back to users and more broadly
- Monitoring of incorrect or inappropriate answers on the system
- Support the development of a process for measuring ‘quality’ of content shared with users, and strive to continually improve the quality of information available through WeFarm
- Research and follow key trends and advances in global agriculture and report these findings back to the wider team on a regular basis.
- Advise on Crop cycles and patterns for scheduled communications.
- Ensure users needs are clearly understood and that the product effectively reflect them
What are we looking for:
- Someone excited by farming and agriculture!
- A bachelor’s degree in Agriculture Economics, General Agriculture or any other related degree preferred.
- Must have a good working knowledge of small-scale farming.
- A good knowledge of both written and spoken English, Runyankole and Luganda are essential, along with any other additional languages.
- Understanding of the challenges faced by smallholder farmers in Uganda
- Working knowledge and understanding of the growing process (including common diseases and problems) of the main cash crops grown in Uganda
- Excited and motivated by the challenge of being part of working with a start-up trying to change the world
- Comfortable with using a computer and knowledge of Microsoft Office package
- Comfortable working hard in a startup environment. Part of that would require someone resourceful and flexible, who is able to adapt to various circumstances and help make the most of any situation
- Passionate about WeFarm’s social business model and pioneering approach
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- N.B. You must have the right to work in Uganda
- Based in Kampala with regular travel to other parts of Uganda.
To apply, please send your CV and a (short) cover letter that answers the following question:
“You have the opportunity to communicate to 100,000 farmers across Uganda via 3 SMS to engage them more in our service, what would you communicate and what would your selection process be?”
Please send your application to email@example.com (note, we will review and interview on an ongoing basis). Unfortunately, we will only be able to respond to shortlisted candidates. Closing 18th February 2017.